The Nature Conservancy South TX Technician/ Intern in Texas
Brownsville, Texas, USA TX407
WORK WITH US
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact for people and nature around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, major US cities and in your neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
The South TX Technician performs and participates in preserve and project operations, maintenance and management in the Lower Rio Grande Valley in Texas.
The STX Technician maintains preserve assist with nursery operations, and performs land management activities at Southmost Preserve and other project sites in the Lower Rio Grande Valley in Texas. S/he removes exotic species and/or conducts species monitoring, collect plant material and assist with native plant nursery operations. S/he may assist in prescribed burn planning and maintain tools, equipment and land. The STX Technician may assist with visiting public and maintain preserve records using a database or PC.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Supervises no staff, but may help plan and direct preserve work groups, including staff or volunteers.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain.
- Requires long hours in isolated settings.
- Makes day to day decisions as delegated by supervisor.
- May work under infrequent supervision.
- Expected to use herbicide, hand tools, and drive a tractor as needed.
- High school diploma and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species.
- Experience operating various types of equipment.
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. First Aid, CPR, herbicide application, and driver’s license).
- Spanish speaking required.
*PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS *
- 1 - 2 years’ experience in land management.
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Ability to recognize plant and animal species to complete preserve management activities.
- Ability to operate various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g.; lawn mower, chainsaw, tractor, two-way radio, etc.).
- Ability to follow instructions from colleagues.
- PC familiarity, including database knowled
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
The employment term is June 1, 2017 - August 15, 2017.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 45445, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on June 2, 2017.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of *The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.*
Job Title: South TX Technician/ Intern
Job ID: 45445