The Nature Conservancy Sycan Marsh Maintenance Technician in Silver Lake, Oregon
Silver Lake, Oregon (OR) at Sycan Marsh Preserve OR406
WORK WITH US
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact for people and nature around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, major US cities and in your neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
The Sycan Marsh Maintenance Technician performs and participates in preserve operations, maintenance and management at our remote 30,000 acre Sycan Marsh Preserve. They will have responsibility for the repair and maintenance of infrastructure, facilities, vehicles and equipment on the preserve. They may assist in other preserve management activities. This position requires living at housing provided at Sycan Marsh Preserve. Housing is required on this property because it is particularly vulnerable to damage or vandalism if unattended.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS The Sycan Marsh Maintenance Technician repairs and maintains preserve infrastructure and facilities including a 4,000 sq ft research station, outbuildings, cabins, 100+ miles of fencing, water management structures, and signage on the preserve. They will be responsible for the repair and maintenance of vehicles, equipment and tools in use at the preserve. They will assist in negotiating and contracting with vendors, and acquiring building permits. They will be responsible for maintaining vehicle and facility logs and schedules utilizing databases and PC software. They will provide support for visitor use and volunteer events at the preserve. They may serve on fire crews, remove exotic species, conduct ecological monitoring and manage livestock if necessary.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Financial responsibility may include working within/managing a budget to complete projects, negotiating and contracting with vendors, and acquiring building permits.
- May help plan, direct or convey work instructions to preserve work groups, including other staff or volunteers.
- Coordinates multiple projects with several variables, setting realistic deadlines and managing timeframes.
- Works under minimal and distant supervision; must make independent decisions based on experience and judgments.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- High school diploma and 4 years direct experience in applied mechanical maintenance.
- Experience operating and/or repairing various types of equipment and machinery. (e.g.; ATV, chainsaw, bobcat, backhoe, snow mobile, two-way radio, etc.).
- Experience working with electrical, plumbing, welding, and concrete.
- Experience working with common software applications including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and web browsers
- Experience coordinating teams to complete construction and repair projects
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required (e.g. CPR, first aid, etc).
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience with solar electric and heating systems
- Experience with composting toilets
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Cross cultural and multilingual skills appreciated.
- Ability to recognize plant and animal species to complete preserve management activities.
- Ability to complete tasks independently and manage diverse activities under deadlines.
- Experience reporting and tracking maintenance and repairs utilizing computer software.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
- This is a term position ending June 29, 2018.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 45159, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 8:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time on March 1, 2017.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of *The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.*
Job Title: Sycan Marsh Maintenance Technician
Job ID: 45159