The Nature Conservancy Brownsville Preserve Manager in Nassawadox, Virginia
Nassawadox, Virginia, USA VA405
WORK WITH US
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact for people and nature around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, major US cities and in your neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
The Brownsville Preserve Manager performs and participates in preserve operations including the maintenance, management, development and coordination of conservation, guests/visitors and outreach/education programs on Brownsville Preserve in Nassawadox, VA.
The Brownsville Preserve Manager is responsible for the overall management of The Nature Conservancy’s 1,250 acre Brownsville Preserve. S/he interacts with guests, school groups, donors, elected officials and other visitors to the preserve (including overnight guests); is responsible for the maintenance and operations of the Brownsville house, other buildings and facilities; conducts routine preserve management; leads volunteer work teams; and works with other Virginia Coast Reserve (VCR) staff to support overall conservation objectives of the program. S/he maintains preserve areas frequented by visitors, oversees multiple contractors, removes exotic species and/or monitors and researches exotic species, maintains tools and equipment, operates heavy machinery, and opens and closes preserve to visitors when necessary.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Works as part of a diverse team of professionals at the VCR to maintain Brownsville Preserve and other properties, serve visitors/guests (including but not limited to scheduling visits, coordinating activities and keeping stock inventory of items at office and other facilities) and assist other VCR programs as needed.
- May lead or monitor work groups consisting of staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Financial responsibility may include working within/managing a budget to complete projects, negotiating and contracting with vendors and assisting with budget development.
- Networks with diverse groups, including land owners, conservation partners, government officials, donors, board members and the general public to recruit support for the Conservancy and plan preserve visits.
- Works under minimal supervision; must make independent decisions based on experience and judgments.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- BA/BS/AS/Technical or vocational degree in science-related field and 1 year related experience in custodial and ecological land management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with natural systems in coastal landscape.
- Experience in ecological land management principles.
- Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers as well as contractors (i.e. housekeeping, caterers, lawn maintenance)
- Experience operating and or repairing various types of equipment and machinery (i.e. bush hog, tractors, chainsaws).
- Must have valid driver’s license, safe driving record (per TNC’s Auto Safety Program).
- Ability to coordinate and communicate with diverse team, visitors and contractors.
- 1 – 2 years related experience in custodial and ecological land management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to recognize plant and animal species to complete preserve management activities.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management and natural resource preservation.
- Ability to complete tasks independently with respect to timeline(s).
- Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g.; Word, Excel, ArcGIS, Web browsers).
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 45512, submit resume (required) and cover letter that includes salary requirement separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on July 6, 2017.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of *The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.*
Job Title: Brownsville Preserve Manager
Job ID: 45512