The Nature Conservancy North Central Stewardship Assistant in Morocco, Indiana
Morocco, Indiana (IN)
WORK WITH US
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact for people and nature around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, major US cities and in your neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
The North Central Stewardship Assistant performs and participates in the operations, maintenance, and management of TNC preserves in North Central Indiana as part of a multi-person crew.
The North Central Stewardship Assistant is part of a team responsible for the restoration and management of nine nature preserves located primarily in north central Indiana under the direction of the North Central Land Steward, who is based in the Kankakee Sands office in Morocco, Indiana. In addition, approximately 10% of the Stewardship Assistant’s time is spent providing assistance to implement priority conservation management activities throughout Northwest Indiana. The North Central Stewardship Assistant will use hand tools, herbicides, ATV/UTV’s, and small machinery to complete the restoration duties. This is a 5-month position with an approximate time frame of mid-May to early October. Optional housing located in Tefft, IN is available.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- The Preserve Management Assistant participates in preserve operations, maintenance, and management. This may include one or more of the following functions:
- Maintain preserve areas frequented by the visiting public
- Remove exotic species and/or species monitoring (including use of herbicides)
- Prepare units for prescribed burning
- Maintain tools and equipment
- Brush and tree removal
- Seed harvest
- Other preserve management activities as needed
- Supervises no staff, but may help plan and direct preserve work groups, including staff or volunteers.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain.
- Requires long hours in isolated settings.
- Makes day to day decisions as delegated by supervisor.
- May work under infrequent supervision
- High school diploma and 6 months of related experience
- Experience recognizing native and exotic plant and animal species.
- Experience operating various types of equipment (sprayers, chainsaws, brush cutters, trucks, trailers, etc.).
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. First Aid, CPR, herbicide application, and driver’s license).
- Ability to follow instructions from colleagues.
- 1-2 years’ experience in land management.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Interest and ability to communicate and work within a rural agricultural area.
- Ability to interact with visitors and volunteers to convey basic project information.
- Experience and interest in natural areas restoration, ecology, or other natural resource field.
- Ability to safely use herbicides to control invasive plant species.
- Ability to safely use and maintain tools and equipment, including chainsaw, power, and construction tools.
- Ability to safely use vehicles such as trucks, trailers, UTV/RTVs, and mowers.
- Knowledge of Midwest flora and fauna. Experience and/or familiarity with taxonomic keys.
- Assist and potentially lead volunteer crews and activities.
- Ability to keep organized and accurate records and work efficiently without supervision.
- Ability to perform physical work, oftentimes under adverse conditions or in inclement weather.
- PC familiarity, including database knowledge.
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 45356, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on April 26, 2017.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.*LI-
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of *The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.*
Job Title: North Central Stewardship Assistant
Job ID: 45356
Full/Part Time: Full-Time