The Nature Conservancy Blue Accounting Content Manager in Lansing, Michigan
WORK WITH US
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact for people and nature around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, major US cities and in your neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
The Great Lakes Blue Accounting Coordinator and Content Manager will support the development and curation of online content for the Blue Accounting platform www.blueaccounting.org). This position will also provide administrative, research, project management and other general assistance to program staff working toward the achievement of project goals. This is a two year, term limited position.
*ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS * The Nature Conservancy’s Michigan Chapter is hiring a content manager and administrative coordinator to help us manage the content on our exciting online platform to support collaborative adaptive management in the Great Lakes. This position will also provide administrative and project management support for the Blue Accounting program, which is a new program being developed through an exciting new partnership between The Nature Conservancy and the Great Lakes Commission (www.glc.org).
- The Blue Accounting Content Manager and Coordinator works closely with conservation and science staff as well as external partners to help with the management and curation of content on the Blue Accounting platform, a Drupal-based, online website designed to improve information sharing and delivery for Great Lakes conservation. The Content Manager and Coordinator is responsible for helping manage the content on this website and ensuring all content is regularly updated. This position will work closely with program staff, including external partners, to ensure current and credible information is served on the website. The Content Manger and Coordinator is also expected to provide administrative and project management support to the Blue Accounting program. The Content Manager and Coordinator will split their time between content management (60%) and administrative coordination (40%). Tasks may include one or more of the following:
- Content Management:
- Update existing content
- Manage the updating of existing content by maintaining a content review calendar and content trackers, and ensuring that all content providers regularly update their content
- Curate existing content by proofreading, soliciting additional information, improving content classification, making basic web modifications to highlight featured content, and ensuring continuous functioning of links
- Add and plan for content
- Add content to the platform using a Drupal-based content management system
- Work with a variety of conservation partners to actively seek relevant content for the platform and facilitate or directly engage with adding this content to the website
- Meet regularly with program staff to plan content development
- Conduct literature reviews and reach out to contacts in order to write new content on ecology and management learning resources, issue specific goals, data, tools, maps, and projects. This will include synthesizing information and writing integrated website content
- Maintain content scope
- Ensure that all new content is within the scope of the website and ensure that metadata is correctly completed
- Moderate users and content
- Moderate and approve user account requests, review externally contributed content, collaborate with content contributors and the program team to implement edits and approve/publish content
- Provide training on adding content
- Produce training materials (e.g., manuals, PowerPoint presentations, web-based slideshows) describing how to add content to the platform
- Train internal and external partners on what content they can enter on the site and how to enter and maintain content on the platform
- Provide technical support to platform manager
- Provide technical hardware and software support to the platform manager if needed, including QA’ing new functionality, supporting user tests, and making recommendations for how to improve the contribute content workflow (i.e., make the website more usable)
- Project Coordination:
- Manage conservation data, maintain project records, and support contract preparation and administration.
- May collect, assemble, and analyze various types of data, in the field or through document surveys and assist in the production of project documentation and reports.
- Support meeting logistics and coordination including note taking, negotiations with vendors, and provision of meeting supplies.
- Work may be done in meetings or be based entirely in an office setting, compiling the information collected by others.
*RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE *
- Manage, maintain and populate databases using Drupal interface and computer spatial or tabular based management skills.
- Provide a variety of information to staff and others, contributing to conservation projects and assisting workflow throughout the organization.
- Works and communicates effectively with a diverse group of people, including scientists, to ensure they are providing and obtaining needed information.
- Ensures integrity of information.
- Resolve routine issues independently.
- May supervise a small staff of interns and/or volunteers on a project basis.
- May help develop work plans and project budgets.
- Coordinates multiple tasks or projects in a timely manner and with attention to detail.
- Works under minimal supervision making independent decisions based on experience and judgment.
*MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS *
- BA/BS or Associates degree in related field and 2 years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with basic content management software and website development.
- Experience managing, maintaining and populating databases.
- Experience working and communicating with a diverse group of people.
- Experience coordinating multiple projects.
- Experience handling standard business communications.
- Experience with basic word processing and data management software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel)
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. Driver’s License)
*PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE *
- 2-3 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with Drupal
- Ability to plan, administer, and record results of work-team meetings and activities.
- Manage time and diverse activities under deadlines while delivering quality results.
- Communicate clearly via written, spoken and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
- Ability to complete tasks independently within assigned time frames.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize project information from multiple sources to populate databases, create reports and produce manual files.
- Experience utilizing databases for data entry.
- Strong administrative skills including attention to detail and numerical ability.
- Training experience.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross cultural experiences appreciated
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 45496, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on 7/03/17.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of *The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.*
Job Title: Blue Accounting Content Manager
Job ID: 45496
Full/Part Time: Full-Time