The Nature Conservancy Longleaf Rest. Tech\NFL Fire Team Member in Bristol, Florida
Bristol, Florida (FL) FL408
WORK WITH US
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact for people and nature around the world in more than 60 countries, all 50 United States, major US cities and in your neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
The Longleaf Restoration Technician-NFL Fire Team Member performs and participates in preserve operations, maintenance and management.
The Restoration Technician participates in preserve operations, maintenance and management. This may include one or more of the following functions:
- Prescribed burn assistance
- Operation of motorized vehicles
- Exotic species control
- Biological monitoring
- Maintains preserve areas frequented by the visiting public
- Maintains tools, equipment and workspace
- Opens and closes preserve to the visiting public
- Ability to supervise/mentor conservation Interns.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
This full-time position has currently identified financial support until June 30, 2018 and no guarantees can be made that the position will extend beyond that date. However, The Nature Conservancy is an employer at will and the employment relationship may end at any time. Co-ed housing and basic utilities, with the exception of telephone, will be provided in a Conservancy residence as taxable income to the employee. The position is with the North Florida Program of The Nature Conservancy located at the Apalachicola Bluffs and Ravines Preserve in Bristol, FL.
- Participate in ongoing sandhill ecosystem restoration effort. Associated tasks include groundcover restoration, tree planting, erosion control, biological monitoring, as well as cutting/girdling and chemically treating overabundant hardwoods.
- Will participate as a fire team crew member on prescribed burns conducted by The Nature Conservancy and various partner agencies. Will participate on wildfires if requested. Perform various prescribed fire and wildfire duties, if qualified, including ignition, holding, mop-up, engine operation, engine bossing, crew bossing, gather fire weather data.
- Operate fire equipment, if qualified, including ignition devices, 4 WD trucks, ATV’s, UTV’s, portable pumps, pump engines, port-a-tanks, tractors, backpack blowers, brushcutters, chain saws, hand tools, and GPS units.
- Perform fire preparations, including tractor mowing, tree cutting, chain saw work, raking, boundary delineation, etc. Must have familiarity with the safe operation of equipment and off-road vehicles, and must follow recommended safety guidelines and precautions specified for said work.
- Must meet minimum TNC - NWCG training and health requirements for wildland fires at the arduous level. For Florida: 3 mile walk with a 45 pound pack vest with a time of 45 minutes or less. Must meet NWCG 310-1 training requirements for Basic Wildland Fire Fighter Type 2 (FFT2). Willingness to work outdoors in both hot and cold weather. Current Red Card and First aid training a plus.
- Will participate in various preserve maintenance activities (e.g. facility upkeep, fence construction/repair, trail maintenance, and invasive/exotic species control using herbicides).
- Ability to safely implement integrated pest management methods for control of invasive, non-native plants and other nuisance plants, including chemical (herbicide) and manual treatments.
- Will use Conservancy-owned vehicles and must be able to safely operate All-terrain vehicle (ATV) or Utility All-Terrain Vehicle (UTV) when duties require use of such equipment and to comply with FL Chapter All-Terrain Vehicle Operating Guidelines at all times. Must hold a valid state driver’s license and safe driving record.
- Maintain equipment and fire cache in fire-ready status; maintain clean and organized trucks and work areas.
- Maintain personal appearance in professional, presentable fashion, suitable to represent the Northwest Florida Program to agencies and the public.
- Good interpersonal skills. Ability to maintain positive morale under adverse working conditions. Ability to get along in a group setting and make quick decisions under pressure.
- Ability to complete tasks within assigned timeframes, frequently in the absence of supervision.
- PC familiarity and willingness to learn NFL Program database in order to maintain records.
- Willingness to at times work long hours and live and work in close contact with coworkers of varying backgrounds and dispositions.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- High school diploma and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species.
- Experience operating various types of equipment.
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Qualified as or able to meet qualifications for Fire Fighter Type 2.
- Valid driver’s license.
- 1 - 2 years’ experience in land management.
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Ability to recognize plant and animal species to complete preserve management activities.
- Ability to operate various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g.; lawn mower, chainsaw, tractor, two-way radio, etc.).
- Ability to follow instructions from colleagues.
- PC familiarity
AUTO SAFETY POLICY
This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.
Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 45188, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on March 10, 2017.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.*LI-
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of *The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.*
Job Title: Longleaf Rest. Tech.FL Fire Team Member
Job ID: 45188
Full/Part Time: Full-Time