The Nature Conservancy Telecommunications Specialist in Arlington, Virginia
Arlington, Virginia (VA) AA100
WORK WITH US
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact for people and nature around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, major US cities and in your neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
The Telecommunications Specialist works with TNC staff and vendors to identify, select and implement data and voice connectivity products.
The Telecommunications Specialist is responsible for provisioning connectivity services for TNC Business Units (BUs). S/he works with TNC staff and TNC vendor partners to identify, select and implement data and voice connectivity products. S/he captures business requirements when scaling last mile connectivity solutions and analyzes service options to advise TNC offices on appropriate technologies and providers. The Telecommunications Specialist project manages provisioning projects throughout the engagement, facilitating TNC technical staff, BU contacts, Field TIS staff, vendors and others as necessary to deliver data and voice services and systems. S/he will keep connectivity provisioning processes, tools and tracking mechanisms up to date. S/he will also provide first-level network support.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Work with a wide variety of geographically distributed GNO and TNC staff, partners and vendors to establish last-mile connectivity for data and voice using established processes
- Analyze or help BUs define and document TNC business requirements; solicit for and evaluate service options, quotes, and vendors for ability to meet requirements
- Manage telecommunications vendor relationships with assistance from GNO Ops and Technical managers
- Advise stakeholders on suitable services, providers and contractual terms
- Analyze and report on data connectivity usage, trends, emerging problems
- Provide voice and data handoff information to technical engineering teams
- Work alongside Technical manager when evaluating new voice and data protocols
- Develop budgetary guidelines for service & system upgrades
- Resolve telecommunications billing issues
- Maintain and update connectivity provisioning procedures, tools and tracking systems
- Position reports to the Global Network Operations Ops Manager
- Willing to work flexible hours and travel occasionally.
- Work environment involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or equivalent technical discipline plus 3 years of experience managing projects, vendors and/or technical services, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 2 years of experience providing technical support
- AAA+ certification, Network+ certification and/or CCENT preferred
- Knowledge of data and voice technologies such as T1, fiber, broadband, VoIP, SIP, premise/cloud PBX
- Knowledge of switches, routers, LAN, WAN, TCP/IP and the OSI model
- Excellent relationship management skills, particularly in customer service and vendor management
- Excellent written and verbal communication ability
- Ability to operate effectively in situations requiring judgment, flexibility and adaptability
- Excellent analytical ability
- Demonstrated ability to work in a distributed team environment
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross cultural experience appreciated.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 45371, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on May 18, 2017
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.#LI-NC1
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of *The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.*
Job Title: Telecommunications Specialist
Location: DC Metro Area
Job ID: 45371
Full/Part Time: Full-Time