The Nature Conservancy Legal Operations Manager in Arlington, Virginia
Arlington, Virginia (VA)
WORK WITH US
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact for people and nature around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, major US cities and in your neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
The Legal Operations Manager (Operations Manager), under the supervision of the Director of Financeand Operations (DFO)provides operational leadership and execution, to the Legal Leadership Team (LLT), Global Legal Team (GLT), and Enterprise Risk Team (ERT), across a broad range of functions: Human Resources, procurement, facilities,meetings management, special events, training, volunteer programs, etc.
The Operations Managerwill work towards meeting the strategic priorities of the GLT by developing and implementing tactics under approved plans, and completing and organizing multiple tasks and activities. They will maintain, track, and report on key data related to the scope and priorities of the functional activity. The Operations Manager must stay current on systems and resources utilized by the team to provide programmatic support and coordinate communications related to the resources. They will complete activities with multiple variables, setting realistic deadlines and managing the timeline. They will serve as the first point of contact for those within and outside of the GLT to troubleshoot operational questions and issues and refer them as needed to the appropriate resource for further insight. They will adapt processes and implement recommended practices to improve effectiveness. The Operations Manager will take on additional duties to enhance the work of the team, including, but not limited to, developing documentation, providing recommendations and targeted training related to the functional area of the team, and/or enhancing the systems and tools used by the team. They may coordinate logistics for Legal meetings and/or special events. They will create program materials and perform analysis and research related to program activities. The Operations Manager will communicate with GLT staff across the Conservancy, as well as with volunteers, vendors, and business relations. They will keep up-to-date on market trends and best practices to improve services.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Supervises one position and maymanage work of peers on departmental project teams;
- Ensure compliance with Conservancy policies and procedures;
- Decisions may bind the organization financially or legally;
- Financial responsibility includespurchasing, processing invoices and transfers, and negotiating and contracting with vendors, and participating in budget preparation;
- Manage projects with several variables - set realistic deadlines, manage a timeline, and ensure accountability;
- Work is diversified and may not always fall under established practices and guidelines;
- First point of contact for all Human Resource operations, day to day questions, new employee orientation and lead recruiter for the Legal team.
- Youth Safety Coordinator – tracking various components of training for those who are required to be youth qualified;
- Partner with the assigned Legal Program Manager for the GLT Conference.
- Manage Legal department intranet site;
- Willingness to become a Virginia Notary Public; and
- Travels occasionally; works long or flexible hours as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 years related experience or equivalent combination;
- Proficient in the MS Office, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint and SharePoint;
- Experience in project management;
- Excellent writing skills; and
- Experience implementing strategic program goals.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience analyzing and interpreting data;
- Experience working across departments;
- Ability to act independently within broad program goals to prioritize tasks in the absence of specific instructions and exercise independent judgment to identify and solve problems;
- Demonstrate sensitivity in handling confidential information;
- Experience collaborating with others at various levels of the organization;
- Experience taking initiative and following through to ensure job completion even if others are involved;
- Virginia Notary Public or willingness to become a Virginia Notary Public;
- Ability to implement complex processes;
- Ability to use existing technology or quickly learn to achieve desired results;
- Strong organization skills, accuracy, attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks; and/or;
- Demonstrated experience using diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate staff; and
- Meeting/event planning experience a plus.
Salary: $65K - $75K DOQ
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 44507, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on June 30, 2017.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. #LI-NC1
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of *The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.*
Job Title: Legal Operations Manager
Location: DC Metro Area
Job ID: 45507
Full/Part Time: Full-Time