The Nature Conservancy Finance and Contracts Specialist in Arlington, Virginia
Arlington, Virginia, USA AA100 #LI-NC1
WORK WITH US
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact for people and nature around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, major US cities and in your neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
The Finance and Contracts Specialist II provides finance/accounting and contracts related services to the Office of the Chief Scientist (OCS) and manages the finances of Science for Nature and People Partnership (SNAPP).
The Finance and Contracts Specialist II provides specialized services in financial management and reporting; accounting; grants administration; management and reporting; or similar financial activities for OCS and s/he will manage the finances of SNAPP in coordination with the partnership finance representatives and prepare the financial reports to donors and the Board. S/he administers and maintains finance/accounting activities in accordance with TNC policies and procedures and best practices in financial management. The Finance and Contracts Accounting Specialist II is an expert in contract development as well as financial tracking and reporting related to contracts.
The Finance and Contracts Specialist reports to the OCS Director of Finance and Operations and is a key member of the OCS Operations Team, supporting a geographically dispersed team of 25+ staff. S/he will work closely with Program/Project Managers as well as Legal and Finance colleagues.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Prepares financial reports to partners and the Board and manages the overall finances of SNAPP in coordination with the partnership finance representatives.
- Generates and analyzes monthly financial reports and data from the general ledger and other ad hoc financial reports, such as Labor Distribution Reports, and tracks spending rates.
- Prepares accounting forms and reports, such as journal entries, cash receipt recordings, and adjustments, including payment of invoices and might include review of expense reports.
- Works to ensure accurate processing of expenses and transfers.
- Maintains excellent knowledge of TNC corporate policies and procedures, and works to identify needed improvements to established policies in keeping with the underlying principles.
- Ensures TNC policies and procedures, financial standards, and legal requirements are understood and met.
- Manages processes for contract drafting, review and execution for OCS and SNAPP.
- Supports contract/grant management processes and ensures compliance with TNC policies and procedures.
- Acts independently on assigned tasks and exercises sound judgement based on analysis and experience.
- Supports the Director of Finance and Operations with other priority needs on an as-needed basis
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 3 years related experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience managing accounting/financial matters and analysis for projects in a non-profit or government granting/contracting environment.
- Experience using accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Experience with GAAP and fund accounting principles, practices and regulations.
- Ability to manipulate, analyze and interpret data. Advanced expertise in Microsoft Excel.
- Working knowledge of grants accounting
- Experience with SharePoint
- Strong organizational skills.
- Accuracy, attention to detail and the ability to multi-task.
- May require technical expertise on complex accounting/financial issues.
- Cross cultural; multi-cultural; multi-lingual skills, background or experience a plus
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 45520, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on July 7, 2017.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of *The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.*
Job Title: Finance and Contracts Specialist
Location: DC Metro Area
Job ID: 45520
Full/Part Time: Full-Time